Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sunday Graces & the Weekend of Nothing-ness

Sorry for missing last week, we had company in town. This weekend the hubs and I both pinky-swore to each other that we would not make any plans. It was wonderful. It was the weekend of nothing. Friday night we ordered pizza and caught up on our shows or "programs," as my grandparents used to say. Saturday we hung out around the house and did some little projects. Today, I did the weekly grocery shopping and then cooked up a storm. I'm going to freeze the majority of the food, it makes it so much easier during the week. I think hubs got it right when he said "we have enough food for a month."

For this week's edition, I am going to share part of an article from House Beautiful. In their November issue they did "101 Party Do's & Don'ts." Well our scanner isn't hooked up and I don't have the patience to type all 101. So, I decided to pick ten items that I completely agree with and ten that I don't really agree with.

10 items I am down with:

1. Don't be afraid to throw a party because you think it will cost too much. You can have a good time for $10 with a bottle of wine and a bag of nuts. Thomas Jayne, Designer

2. Music should be just loud enough so that people have to talk above it slightly. Alexa Hampton, Designer

3. Don't serve only white liquors because you're afraid of spills. Richard Mishaan, Designer

4. Don't impose a dress code on people . . . leave them to their own devices and just see what turns up. Larry Laslo, Designer

5. Don't run low on the hooch! David Jimenez, Designer

6. The host's mood sets the tone. Emily Eerdmans

7. Always start with an empty dishwasher. Chesie Breen

8. People with big personalities are best in the center of the table. They can help carry the conversation from that place. Michael S. Smith, Designer

9. Not everyone drinks alcohol. Have fresh-squeezed juices and other delicious choices so you can mix a "mocktail" or two. Preston Bailey, Event Designer

10. Turn off cell phones! Joan Michaels Designer

10 tips that I don't necessarily agree with:

1. Always do favors. Amen Wardy (I don't think favors are necessary at every party, I feel like this has gotten a little out of hand lately.)

2. Put lamps on your buffet or server. Jan Showers (I just prefer candles. I am aware of the fire risk.)

3. Have beverages visible from the moment guests step in the door. Matt and Ted Lee (I think offering to get your guests a beverage is the better approach.)

4. Don't use assigned seating - allow guests to mingle and let the evening evolve organically. Deborah Lloyd. (Those of you that have been readers for a while know how I feel about this. If you are having a sit-down dinner, assigned seating is a must.)

5. As a host, don't sit at the head of the table - presumptuous and archaic. Darryl Carter (I believe that the host and hostess should sit at the heads of the table. The hostess sits at the head closest to the kitchen so that she can better accomodate her guests.)

I have to admit, when I was reading this article last night I thought there were a few more I disagreed with. I guess not! I agree with the other 96 items. This is a really great issue if you enjoy entertaining. Happy Sunday all!

No comments: