The past few weeks have been a whirlwind full of entertaining. We're on a self-imposed hiatus until mid-November. I decided to compile, what I think are, the top ten ways to be a gracious guest. As a disclaimer, these are my personal opinions. I’m sure everyone has their own idea of what makes a gracious guest and I would love to hear from you . . . so comment away!
1. A gracious guest comes to the party on time and not a minute before, unless, you are a very, very good friend (read – bestie) or an immediate family member and you have come to help with last minute preparations. I know I am always grateful for family members who come early.
2. A gracious guest never comes empty-handed. Whether you bring flowers, wine, candy, or a baked good . . . you should bring something.
3. A gracious guest never brings their children to a party that they are not invited to. If children are invited, their parents should watch them.
4. A gracious guest does not over-indulge on either food or alcohol.
5. A gracious guest mingles with everyone at the party and does not pick and choose who they converse with.
6. A gracious guest always offers to help clean-up. However, a gracious hostess would never allow it.
7. A gracious guest does not dominate the conversation and allows everyone a chance to contribute. That being said, a gracious guest also contributes to the conversation and does not remain silent throughout the night and stand in a corner.
8. A gracious guest does not over-stay their welcome.
9. A gracious guest does not leave the hosting house intoxicated and then proceed to drive home.
10. A gracious guest always acknowledges the host and thanks the host for inviting them.